NCLAP Sidebar

"Forgive yourself for not knowing what you didn't know before you learned it."

—Maya Angelou

Message from the Director

We have officially launched a new Sidebar Podcast as a companion to this quarterly e-newsletter. Episodes will feature interviews of lawyers and judges who share their personal stories and journeys of recovery. LAP has released the first three initial episodes, as you will see embedded in the articles below. New episodes will drop weekly on Fridays. You can listen to the podcast directly from the LAP website or on Apple podcasts, Spotify podcasts, or anywhere you listen to your podcasts. You can subscribe to the podcast directly on your player of choice. Please feel free to share across social media platforms. We are excited about the podcast as a new way to engage with our material.

Time Takes Time

Like a butterfly, that only develops enough strength in its wings to fly by struggling to emerge from the chrysalis, this lawyer learned the value of living through the experience of cleaning up her mistakes of the past. Read more.

This article is also a featured Sidebar Podcast episode: Wings to Fly. Listen here.

Get Off the Couch

With a pile of unopened certified letters from the State Bar sitting in a drawer, this lawyer faced what he thought was the inevitable end to his professional life. But a remarkable thing happened. He got up off his couch, walked across the street, and asked for help. This is the story of his transformation. Read more.

This article is also a featured Sidebar Podcast episode: Get Off the Couch. Listen here.

Practice Perspective

The days when I actively work Step 10 my law practice is much more productive because I consciously remain aware of personal interactions. Read more.

Mindful Moment

What to Say When the World Doesn’t Feel OK

Many attorneys are on the verge of collapse. Understanding our bodies’ nervous system response helps, along with this simple three-minute exercise. Read more.

This Mindful Moment is also a featured Sidebar Podcast episode: World Not Feeling OK? Listen here.

Five-Minute Coronavirus Stress Reset Exercises

Rather than stocking up on benzodiazepines, try plunging your face into ice water, or try a technique called anchoring to calm your nervous system. Read more.

Something to Consider

From Ego-Consciousness to Soul Awareness

When you meditate consistently, a sense of your autonomy and private self-importance—what you think of as your “self”—falls away, little by little, as unnecessary, unimportant, and even unhelpful. The imperial “I,” the self that you likely think of as your only self, reveals itself is largely a creation of your mind. – p. 66, just this, by Richard Rohr

Upcoming Events - LAP Related

Feb. 18, 2022
Minority Outreach Conference
McKimmon Center
Raleigh, NC
Registration in January

Upcoming Events - Community Based
(not LAP sponsored; a clearing house of information for recovery related events around the state)

Renewal Center of the South
Current Retreat Schedule

Submissions to the Sidebar are Welcome

See guidelines for submissions

Annual Report

View the 2020-2021 Annual Report
NCLAP Sidebar